Sunday, May 15, 2011

Religion and Salvation by Grace

I sometimes get asked by people that I am witnessing to how I can know that my “religion” is right when there are so many different religions in the world. How do I know that my particular Christian religion is the right one among the hundreds, if not thousands of different beliefs and faiths out there?

And my answer to them is always the same. In the entire world there are really only two religions! At which point they start looking at me a little strangely, as if to say “what is wrong with you, where have you been all this time, which planet are you from?”

It’s really quite simple, while there are many different flavours, branches, kinds, etc. all religions fall into just two categories.

The first kind is a religion that believes that we can work for our salvation and eventual entry into Heaven. It is the very common belief that somehow we can earn the right, by our works on this Earth, the good deeds that we do, by following the rules and being nice to our fellow human beings. The idea is that we must somehow become perfect in every way or risk damnation. I would say that the majority of religions fall into this category in one way or the other, and this group unfortunately also includes many Christians among their ranks.

The second kind of religion is the one that realises that salvation is a pure work of God’s Grace, that we are too inherently sinful and weak in ourselves to ever be able to earn or work our way to Heaven. This group believes that without a Saviour we are lost and unable to come to salvation. (Rom.3:23, Rom.3:10, Isa.64:6, Eccl.7:20, 2Tim.1:9, Gal.2:16, Eph.2:8,9)

I am firmly in this second group, and I rely purely on the saving grace of my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. I derive great peace and joy in knowing that it is only through what Jesus did for me 2000 years ago on the cross that I have the means of salvation available to me. It is all by His redeeming power and nothing to do with anything that I can do. All I have to do is receive His free gift of salvation and I can know beyond a shadow of a doubt that my eternal life is guaranteed forever! (Acts 4:12, 1Tim.2:5, Jn.10:9, Jn.10:28, 1Jn.5:13)

This, of course, should serve to lift the heavy burden of trying to be good enough, trying to work hard enough and never being sure if we are going to see Heaven one day or not. This is the freedom that Jesus came to give to us as a gift, and as we all know gifts cannot be earned, they can only be gratefully received! So live firmly within the freedom of God’s Grace and never live in the bondage of uncertainty ever again! Amen! (Rom.8:38,39, Jn.10:28, Jn.3:36)

If you want to have God’s free gift of salvation through His Son, Jesus Christ, then simply click here.

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name
John 1:12

After you have finished reading this article, I highly recommend that you also read this one:  Jesus set me Free!?

No comments:

Post a Comment