Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Why the world is a mess

Watching the news these days I cannot but come to the conclusion that Jesus was right when He laid out the condition of the world just before His return, go and read it for yourself in Matthew 24. What with wars, earthquakes, riots, tsunamis, destructive cults, false prophets, rampant sexual immorality, (and the list goes on) we are, I believe, certain to see the return of Christ in our generation.

However, whether He returns or not I think it is imperative that we live each day as if He is coming back in, umm, about 5 minutes!

If you had only five minutes to live what would you do with your time? I know what I would do! I would speak to all my loved ones and tell them that I love them, and then I would contact as many people that I may have wronged and apologise, from the heart. I would give my wife a rose, look her in the eye and give her a kiss. Hugs all around, a simple prayer and then just bask in the love. (It would need to be quite a long five minutes!) I know this sounds quite corny, but when all is said and done it all comes down to love, without it nothing really seems worth while.

Just remember that “God is love” 1John 4:8.

So really, when we boil it down to the basics, why do we have all these problems in the world today? Well, when speaking about the tragedy’s that occurred in his country during the communist revolution Alexander Solzhenitsyn said: “If I were asked today to formulate as concisely as possible that main cause of the ruinous revolution that swallowed up some 60 million of our people, I could not put it more accurately than to repeat: 'Men had forgotten God; that is why all this has happened.'"

In 1Timothy 4:1 it says: “But the Spirit expressly says that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits and teachings of demons” and 2Thessalonians 2:3 agrees and says: “for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first”.

So my conclusion is simple, the world is the mess it is in today because people have stepped away from God and do not want to acknowledge His existence because it is inconvenient to their lifestyle choices. But there is a price to pay, because people that are not ruled by love (God) will ultimately be ruled by sin and as the Bible points out: “And because iniquity (sin) shall abound, the love of many will become cold.” Matthew 24:12

Because of sin man is rapidly forgetting how to love, and the root of this is that man has decided to try and live life without God. But a life lived close to the source of all love, God, revealed in His Son Jesus Christ will be a life of love and joy despite the circumstances that surround us. And while we may not be able to change the entire world, we can change the world around us by simply showing love to the people around us.

Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God, and everyone who loves has been born of God, and knows God.
1John 4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment